The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
Adopting a hybrid-multicloud strategy
More and more enterprises are realizing the benefit of moving applications to the cloud. Most have already adopted a multicloud or hybrid cloud strategy. However, these enterprises face challenges when securely connecting to their cloud deployments. The internet offers only best-effort connectivity with inconsistent network quality, which can significantly impact application performance. Another option, direct cloud interconnects, requires customers to plan for capacity and global reach upfront, which can lead to underutilization and increased cost. What if enterprises could have seamless, automated connectivity to multiple Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) environments, without all the complexity?
Cisco SD-WAN Cloud OnRamp: Intent-based networking for multicloud
To keep up with the increased demands on the WAN, enterprises are learning to broker, connect, build, and govern their networks, not only for branch locations and data centers, but for a vast multicloud landscape. Cisco® SD-WAN delivers cloud networking as part of our intent-based networking framework to enable agility for enterprises’ WAN connectivity. Cisco SD-WAN Cloud OnRamp optimizes and dynamically provisions network, security, and services.
Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Equinix: Automated hybrid-multicloud networking
Cisco SD-WAN’s integration with Equinix allows you to provision on-demand branch connectivity to multiple sites and to the world's leading cloud provider networks like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure, directly from your SD-WAN controller. Part of Cisco SD-WAN Cloud OnRamp, Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect is integrated with Equinix Network Edge, a network service that deploys network devices virtually at Equinix Data Centers and interconnects to the cloud in minutes using Equinix Fabric. The joint solution simplifies provisioning, delivers reliable network performance, and decreases the costs and complexity of operating your network connectivity to cloud service providers.
Through the automation capabilities of the Cisco SD-WAN vManage controller, you can deploy your Cisco SD-WAN overlay while integrating the dynamic and highly reliable underlay of the Equinix network, so that you can take advantage of the cloud consumption model for dynamic provisioning of your WAN connectivity. Cisco SD-WAN vManage provides a single, easy-to-use console to automate deployment of connections between sites and from site to cloud, reducing provisioning from weeks to minutes. Equinix Network Edge provides secure, reliable connectivity to Equinix’s global ecosystem via 240+ colocation data centers in 70 markets across 31 countries and 6 continents.
Cisco also ensures that traffic traversing the private backbone of Equinix is encrypted end-to-end. Cisco extends the SD-WAN fabric over the private underlay all the way into the cloud service provider by hosting virtual SD-WAN routers in transit VPCs/VNETs. This not only allows for end-to-end encryption for branch to cloud traffic, but also overcomes any failures of the underlay by automatically steering traffic from the branch to cloud over the internet.
Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Equinix
Benefits of Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Equinix
● Full stack automation: Orchestrate both Cisco SD-WAN overlay and Equinix underlay with Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect via vManage.
● Normalized experience: Bring any cloud with any carrier. No domain expertise is needed.
● Multipath optimization: Implement policy to segment and select any path through any carrier.
● Centralized visibility: Enable Cisco SD-WAN multicloud monitoring for end-to-end visibility.
● Single vendor experience: Receive onboarding, provisioning, and support from Cisco.
● Cloudlike consumption: Benefit from significant cost savings over traditional routes and pay only for what you need.
● Optimized performance: Minimize latency and network hops with secure, direct interconnections to leading cloud and SaaS providers.
● Encrypted Multicloud Interconnects: SD-WAN tunnels created between interconnect gateway (Equinix Network Edge) and the cloud service provider allow for branch to cloud traffic to be completely encrypted through the Equinix Fabric.
How do you deploy Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect?
Users have the convenience of managing their SD-WAN fabric and connectivity to clouds and branches through Cisco vManage. All policy administration and deployment of virtual routers is API driven and transparent to the user. Users select the connection bandwidth and locations where they want to connect to establish connectivity.
● Cisco SD-WAN Cloud Interconnect with Equinix FAQ
● Cisco SD-WAN and Equinix White Paper
● Cisco and Equinix partnership page