The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
Agility across the infrastructure
According to a recent survey commissioned by 451 Research, the growth of the cloud over the last several years can be attributed to a desire to extract more agility and innovation from cloud-based IT infrastructures. This move to the cloud has done many things well. For instance, it has enabled IT organizations to pivot more quickly to maintain relevance and resilience as the business environment has become increasingly uncertain.
These capabilities can also benefit other IT infrastructures. Bringing a cloud operating model to the network goes beyond cloud operations and reimagines the entire IT experience. This expanded model can leverage the anywhere-access, self-service elements of the cloud, the automation and insights of effective management platforms, and API-powered extensibility to apply these principles to network infrastructures.
By bringing a cloud operating model to on-premises infrastructure for cloud and network operations, your entire IT stack can be more cloud-like while maintaining the critical cost and control aspects of on-premises technology. Think of it as the best of both worlds: promote greater business innovation through end-to-end agility, minimize wasteful operational friction with more consistent operations and simplified processes, and ensure greater cross-functional adherence to your overarching business objectives – all while relying on APIs to expand convergence and capabilities. And, as a result, your IT team becomes an indispensable tool for business success.
Cisco® solutions bring the simplicity of the cloud operating model to the network and deliver the following benefits:
● More cloud-like agility and simplification of network and cloud infrastructure and processes.
● Improved flexibility, simplicity, and efficiency of on-premises network and cloud infrastructure.
● Consistent cross-functional processes and policies to help reduce operational friction and promote greater collaboration across operational teams.
● Network insights and data-driven intelligence to help inform and simplify complex network and cloud operations.
● End-to-end automation for day-to-day operations to enable IT resources to be focused on more strategic and innovative efforts.
Transitioning to a broader cloud operating model
This approach to a cloud operating model requires management platforms that span the cloud, the internet, and the network with consistent policies, processes, and data telemetry. These platforms support the simplicity of the operating model with cloud-driven automation, network insights, and API-powered extensibility and value, to deliver greater network simplification and data-driven intelligence across a range of use cases, including:
● Application performance – solutions that impact the availability and performance of applications. The improved experience can help IT boost organizational productivity and enhance customer digital engagement.
● Business innovation – solutions that directly support line of business innovation or do so through business applications that can deliver greater business innovation. Business innovation is the key to improved efficiency, new revenue streams, and faster adaptation to changing business environments.
● Operational convergence – solutions that help operations more tightly align and collaborate through policy and process workflows and consistency. Greater consistency across operational teams helps reduce operational costs and supports greater agility so the organization is better able to adapt to market change.
Journey to a cloud operating model
Cisco and the cloud operating model
Because cloud operating models are necessarily unique to each organization, no vendor has a monopoly on a given model. However, because of our cloud and network portfolio, Cisco is in a unique position to help you transition to this expanded model. We deliver cloud-managed platforms that optimize data-center and public-cloud workloads with consistent policies. We simplify the networking of cloud connections, with SD-WAN on ramps to public and SaaS clouds. We power security and identity engines that inform these platforms with greater policy consistency. And we offer platforms that deliver optimal user and IT experiences through LAN, WAN, and internet connections with end-to-end visibility of applications and connections.
Cisco solutions come together to provide essential capabilities for your transition to a more effective, cloud operating model for your IT infrastructure. For information about these solutions, explore:
Cloud management for network infrastructure:
● Cloud management for Catalyst infographic - Cisco Meraki® dashboard
Cloud and data center networking: