THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
Updated the Problem Description and Workaround/Solution Section
Corrected Upgrade Form Number
|Affected Product ID
||Battery voltage exceeds the maximum voltage in certain stress test situations|
The Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 Firmware Release 11.0(5) might cause battery swelling.
If the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 runs Firmware Release 11.0(5), the battery can expand if you charge the battery in a desktop charger or multi-charger continuously over extended periods of time.
A phone that is affected by this issue can exhibit these symptoms:
- The battery expands.
- The battery door is difficult to close or does not close properly.
- The battery is installed incorrectly.
In order to verify that the battery is installed correctly, see the Install the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 Battery section in the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 and 8821-EX User Guide.
In order to avoid or resolve this issue, upgrade the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 to the latest firmware version or versions listed here.
• Release 11.0(5)SR1
• Release 11.0(5)SR2
• Release 11.0(5)SR3 or later
If the battery has expanded, customers are encouraged to work with their Cisco Account Team to purchase replacement batteries. Note: Batteries are consumable and are not covered under a warranty or service contract.
Carefully complete the Replace the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 Battery instructions listed in the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 and 8821-EX User Guide to remove and replace the battery.
Warning: Follow these precautions when you remove the battery:
- Stop charging the battery and wait for the battery to cool down completely. Do not attempt to remove the battery if the battery is warm or hot.
- Do not use tools and/or sharp objects to open the battery compartment or to remove the battery. The warranty for the phone will be void if sharp objects or tools are used.
- If the battery has physical damage, do not continue to use the battery. A battery that is physically damaged might experience a thermal event.
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
My Notifications—Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.